Years of research and experience make it clear that the most important factor in determining the quality of an early childhood program is the quality of its staff. Children do best when there are sufficient numbers of trained adults available on a regular, consistent basis. Specialized staff training is critical. Teachers must understand how young children grow and learn, and how to teach them accordingly. And because young children need close adult attention and supervision for their safety and to help them thrive, the total group size and the number of children per adult must be limited.
DBCC is staffed by an Executive Director, a Center Director, an Assistant Director, Mentor Teachers, and Classroom Teachers who are professionally trained and experienced in early childhood education and chid development. All teachers work as a team within each classroom, sharing responsibilites for planning experiences consistent with DBCC’s developmentally appropriate curriculum for individual child and their group. DBCC teachers and administrators are expected to meet the Maryland State Department of Education / Office of Child Care Credentialing requirements.
Quality Child care is labor intensive. The younger the children, the smaller the group and the more adults needed per child. In most cases, DBCC’s teacher/child ratios exceed Maryland State Licensing Requirements.
Illustrative DBCC Staff Ratios:
- Room 1 – Eight Infants – Four full time teachers, one part time teacher
- Room 2 – Nine Toddlers – Four full time teachers
- Room 3 – Seven Infants – Three full time teachers, one part time teacher
- Room 4 – Twelve two year olds – Three full time teachers, one part time teacher
- Room 5 – Fifteen three year olds – Three full time teachers
- Room 6 – Seventeen four year olds – 2 full time teachers, one part time teacher
- Room 7 – nine toddlers – three full time teachers, one part time teachers
DBCC also has a full time kitchen / housekeeping manager who helps us maintain a clean and sanitary environment, prepares breakfast and snack and disinfencts infant toys and sanitizes surfaces. Our kitchen manager has successfully completed the NSF International Food Safety Handler Training.